The Peter Stuyvesant Monument was designed by the Scottish-American sculptor J. Massey Rhind and erected between 1910 and 1913. The statue was originally located in the center of Jersey City’s Bergen Square district, itself founded by Dutch settlers in 1660.
In the winter of 2010, the monument’s base and inscribed tablets were demolished. The bronze statue of Stuyvesant was hauled to a local stone yard for storage (read the Jersey Journal article by John Gomez).
As part of an ongoing preservation campaign, JC Landmarks is working with the Jersey City government to return and restore the monument to its rightful home in Bergen Square.
Our current preservation campaign involves:
- Accepting donations on behalf of Jersey City. The estimated cost for construction and restoration is $50,000.
- Offering to assist with the design competition for a new monument base.